It’s all very well having that clever idea, or lots of clever ideas, but how do you get them on the page? Sometimes, writing a whole book seems like a daunting task. Here are a few tricks I use to get writing.
0. A really nice notebook and pen. We all know the type. A book with smooth pages and a pen that just rolls across the page. Writing just feels so rewarding.
0. Do it in ten minutes bursts in between doing something else. Read a chapter of another book, then set a timer for ten minutes and just write, then read, then write.
0. Don’t start at the beginning. Start somewhere in the middle. Write a random scene. Write an ending. Write blocks of text than put them together.
0. Take a notepad with you. Write on the bus, write in the doctors waiting room. Anywhere that you’re usually bored.
0. Write a plan of what you’re going to do and stick it up on the wall where you can see it all the time. It’ll prompt you and show you what you’ve done already and what’s left to do. Just remember the plan is not concrete, you can change whatever you want whenever you want.
0. Rewards! One chapter – one chocolate. 1000 words – watch some TV. 10000 words – have a long lie in. You’re going to need it!
Sent from my iPad