I’m going off on a grammar rant. I know it. I also know that my own grammar is not always perfect. But lately I have seen the adverb thankfully being over-used and I think misused.
I keep seeing something like this, “Thankfully the store was closed.” My rewrite of that would be something like, “I was thankful the store was closed.” It only takes one more word folks! I understand trying to keep things short and sweet but let’s keep our clarity too. Okay, all of you who think I’m wrong have my permission to tell me so. But really, if thankfully modifies the verb was closed in that first example sentence, I can’t really see it.
- Are There Fewer Opportunities for Writers Now? by Christine Duncan
- The Moment of Love
- A Seasonal Book by Christine Duncan
- Writing by Christine Duncan
- Finding the Voice
- Happy Labor day by Christine Duncan
- Faking a best seller
- Anyone Can Be a Writer by Christine Duncan
- Honestly, it’s ‘research’